At least 48 hours prior to a pesticide application at a school, the school corporation must provide planned pesticide application details to parents, guardians, and staff members requesting to be notified. Parents, guardians and staff must be registered with the school to receive such advance notice.
Details of this requirement are as follows:
- This requirement is the same whether pesticides are being applied by a licensed pesticide contractor hired by the school to control pest(s) or by certified and licensed school staff that perform the pest control for the school corporation.
- It is the responsibility of the school corporation to develop the advance notification registry and to provide the notificaiton to those registered. If a parent wishes to be added to the registry, notice must be given to the school by September 15th of each school year or within 10 days of registration for a new student.
- Advance notice is NOT required for the following pesticide applications:
- disinfectants, germicides, sanitizers, swimming pool chemicals, gel or paste bait insecticides, manufactured enclosed insecticides stations; and self-applied insect repellents;
- immediate student health threat situations (i.e. stinging wasps & bees)
- Areas completely away from student-occupied buildings & areas; and
- those made more than 48 hours before a scheduled school day.
CASTON SCHOOL CORPORATION WILL MAKE EVERY ATTEMPT TO ADMINISTER ALL PESTICIDES MORE THAN 48 HOURS BEFORE A SCHEDULED SCHOOL DAY FOR ANY AREAS WITHIN CLOSE PROXIMITY TO STUDENT-OCCUPIED BUILDINGS AND AREAS.